Etching Stain requires a bit of patience before you see the actual, true results. When first applied, the finish may not look like you expected - but hang in there. When the stain dries, a surface residue will appear. After you remove the residue, the color may appear dull. The sealer will take your finish from dull to impressive and enhance the color. Keep in mind the color and transparency of the finish will vary depending upon your concrete’s surface and porosity.
Apply etching stain.
- Wet the surface with water, removing any puddles.
- Apply stain using an all-plastic pump sprayer, mop or brush. Make sure to saturate the entire surface with the stain.
- Allow stain to dry a minimum 4 hours or until it is completely dry. For best results, wait 24 hours before washing off residue.
- Remove residue by washing with a solution of 4 ounces of baking soda for every gallon of water. Scrub thoroughly with a stiff bristle brush. Remove wash water with wet vacuum or mop.
- Allow surface to completely dry and then top coat with QUIKRETE Etching Stain High Gloss Sealer (exterior use only).
Apply sealer with a roller in a back and forth motion. If the first coat sinks into the surface, you may want to apply a second or third coat. Paint any trim, edges or hard-to-reach spots with a brush. Allow 24 hours for light foot traffic, 72 hours for automobiles.